One way to help you and your partner invigorate date night without having to deal with feeling the pressure of coming up with another great idea on the fly is to set up a date night jar. The idea is to prepare a large list of date night ideas ahead of time so that you can randomly select each date night when you're feeling like spicing things up. Take a look at out how to get your own date night jar started as well as for some inspiration for ideas to fill your jar up with.
Flip for Date Night
Flip for Date Night takes the idea of a date night jar and flips it on its head. If you and your partner have ever had to flip a coin to settle what movie you're seeing or what restaurant you're eating at, then you have all of the experience you need to play this game.
To start your "Flip for Date Night Jar" you're going to need just a few materials.
- Two large jars
- Slips of paper, cut into rectangles
- Two large square strips of cardstock
- Permanent marker
- Hot glue
- Hot glue gun
To create your "Flip for Date Night Jar" follow these simple steps:
- Gather all of your materials.
- Evenly divide the slips of paper into two separate piles.
- In one pile, write down date night ideas that involve you going outside of your home, and in the other, write ideas that involve you staying at home.
- Put each pile in each of the large jars.
- Write out the word Heads on one of the square strips of cardstock and Tails on the other.
- Hot glue the Heads card to the jar with your date night ideas that take you away from home and Tails on the jar that involves you staying at home.
How to Use
Using this specific date night jar is as simple as 'flipping' for date night; take any coin you have on hand and flip it when the time comes. If it lands on heads, you or your partner gets to pick a slip out of the corresponding jar, and the same goes for Tails on the reverse side. This way, no matter which side life throws at you, you're guaranteed to have a great time.
Flip for Date Night Jar Ideas
Of course, part of the reason you're making a date night jar is probably because you and your partner have gotten a bit too routine with your scheduled romantic excursions. Here's a bit of inspiration for ways that you can liven up date night whether you're staying at home or going out.
These date night ideas are great for the nights when you need a breath of fresh air and want to explore all that the world has to offer.
- Go wine tasting
- Visit a smash/destruction room
- Go ice skating
- Play a game of laser tag
- Rent a hotel for a night
- Go ghost hunting in a public graveyard
- Try indoor rock climbing
- Visit an art gallery
- Go on a hike
- Reenact your first date
- Explore a new city
- Visit a thrift store together
- Go apple or strawberry picking
- Go to the batting cages
- Play a round of putt-putt together
- Go bowling
- Visit an antique store
- Go sing karaoke together
- Get dinner from a local food truck
- Get your fortunes read
- Head to an arcade
- Have midnight breakfast at a 24-hour diner
- Go visit the lowest rated bar in your area
- Visit a local animal shelter and play with the animals
- Drive to a clear location and watch the sunset together
- Go to a drive-in theater
- Visit a pool hall
These date night ideas focus on helping you be creative for date night by using the things that you have around you.
- Have an at-home movie night
- Build an indoor blanket fort
- Put together a charcuterie board
- Give each other a massage
- Have an indoor picnic
- Eat breakfast in bed for dinner
- Play a game of Monopoly until the end
- Write each other a romantic poem
- Pick a terrible movie to watch together
- Draw shadow portraits of each other
- Decorate cookies together
- Try making your own ice cream
- Make a scrapbook of your relationship together
- Plant some plants together
- Put on a playlist and dance together
- Play a game of "Would you Rather"
- Play your own game of Chopped using whatever ingredients you have in your kitchen
- Put a puzzle together
- Watch an online performance of a ballet or opera
- Pick a foreign film to watch
- Decorate frames to put photos of each other in
- Try learning something new like creating balloon animals, making origami, and so on
- Do a blindfolded taste test of each other's cooking
- Check one household improvement project off of your list
- Make each other a custom playlist
- Write future letters of encouragement to each other
- Redecorate a part of your space together
Flip for It
Date night doesn't have to be difficult, and date night jars are the perfect way to take the stress out of planning and executing date night so that you and your partner can focus on the thing that really matters - getting to spend time together.