Sometimes you can get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life that you forget how to show someone you love them, and yet, its often the smallest things that make people feel the most cared for. Now, if you're desperate for some inspiration about what kinds of things you can do to surprise that special person in your life, look no further than these twenty-five sure fire suggestions.
How to Show Someone You Love Them
Here are a few different examples of ways you can show that special someone how much they mean to you based on Dr. Gary Chapman's system of five separate love languages. These love languages are the ways that people naturally express and receive love. Noting which of these love languages you and your partner each have can help you better communicate your feelings in a clearly defined way.
Perform Acts of Service
Do something for the one you love to show them just how much they mean to you.
- Fill up your partner's gas tank so they don't have to start their day early to fill it themselves.
- Wake up early to prepare their favorite breakfast; or, if you're not very good in the kitchen, pick up breakfast from their favorite place.
- Drop lunch off at their work, and if they're working from home, bring it to them at their preferred work-spot.
- Take care of their least favorite household chore, like washing the dishes, doing laundry, raking up the leaves, and so on.
- Practice making their favorite childhood meal for them, and surprise them with dinner.
- Wash the exterior, and deep-clean the interior, of their car for them.
- Curate a playlist of songs that remind you of your partner and play it for them on your next car ride.
Offer Loving Words
Sharing loving words in writing or another way can be meaningful to someone whose love language is words of affirmation.
- Write them a love letter and drop it in the mail for a nice surprise nestled in-between the usual bundle of advertisements and bills.
- Leave an endearing message in their voicemail box for them to come across in the morning.
- Write a sweet note in the steam on the bathroom mirror after you take a shower so the next time your partner takes one they'll stumble across it.
- Write short love poems on all of the napkins on your kitchen table so that your partner will be faced with your love at every meal.
For those who like to give and receive gifts, these are some ideas for communicating your love.
- Search out a nearby florist and create a customized bouquet of flowers to be sent to your partner at work.
- Order them something off of their Amazon wishlist or order an item that's been sitting in one of their online shopping carts for a while.
- Donate to their favorite charity or cause in their name.
- If they love reading, browse the shelves of your nearest book store and pick up a book that reminds you of them to give to them that evening.
- Draw or paint your partner a picture of your favorite adventure that you've been on together.
- Create a collage of things that represent significant moments in your relationship that you can hang up for all of your guests to see.
- Buy a blank frame from your local craft store and customize it to represent moments from your relationship, and then place your favorite picture of the two of you in it and gift it to them one random afternoon.
Taking your time to do something special with your partner is a great way to show your love.
- Queue up their favorite movie for an impromptu date night.
- Accompany them to their next appointment such as to get their oil changed or their hair cut.
- At the first sign of warm weather, take them for a surprise picnic.
- Schedule a session with a local photographer to take pictures of the two of you.
- After a long day of work, play their favorite song and ask them for a dance.
Offer Loving Touch
Physical touch is a caring way to express your love.
- Give them a foot massage or a shoulder massage after a tiring day of taking care of business.
- Reach out and take their hand, especially if you've found yourselves sitting at least a whole cushion away from each other on the sofa.
Sometimes the Smallest Things Mean the Most
While it seems like the culture of love is obsessed with this idea of grandiose gestures, oftentimes people find that it's the smallest things that mean the most to them. So, when you're thinking about how to show someone that you love them, be sure to remember these twenty-five pretty simple, heartfelt suggestions of ways to express your love.