Are you looking for a list of dos and don'ts for online dating? If so, you are not alone. More people are finding dates online and discovering both the pitfalls and the rewards of meeting people from dating websites.
How to Do Online Dating
When it comes to online dating, your possibilities are wide open. There is a range of ages, types of people, and interests to help you find potential dates. It's important to first know what you are looking for, whether it's casual dating, a long-distance pen pal or a serious relationship. Once you know what you are looking for, you can fill out a profile at one of the paid or free online dating sites, post a photo, and start contacting people.
List of Dos and Don'ts for Online Dating
The next step is to make sure you use some common sense when interacting with potential dates. Everyone has different comfort levels for how much they are willing to reveal online, but some basic guidelines can help keep you safe and make it a more rewarding experience. You'll want to focus on not just getting to know people, but also taking action to meet offline.
Dos for Online Dating
- Meet in a public place: Always meet a date in a public place, like a coffee shop or restaurant.
- Keep it casual: Most people are comfortable with getting a drink and spending an hour or less on the first meeting. Remember, you don't want the date to last too long since one or both people might not be interested.
- Give your phone number only if you're comfortable: Only give your phone number to someone if you're ready for more communication. It is completely possible to exchange emails and make plans to meet up without talking on the phone.
- Trust your instincts: Just like you would trust a good friend setting you up on a blind date, you have to trust yourself. Once you can trust yourself with online dating, you'll trust in your choices and know when it's time to meet someone.
Don'ts for Online Dating
- Reveal rersonal information: Never let anyone you meet online know your home address. Also, try to keep things like your last name and where you work discreet.
- Email for too long: One of the pitfalls of online dating is that people often email for a while and then meet and have no chemistry. While you have to trust your gut feeling about when you should meet people, also remember not to let fear get in the way. Once you've been on a couple of dates, it gets easier to meet more people.
- Use a misleading photo: If your goal of online dating is to meet a special someone in person, make sure your profile photo isn't too outdated or hard to see. Choose a good photo and you'll increase your chances of success.
One Last Word
Keep in mind that you have no idea who you are really talking to online. Most dating websites do not screen people, so it's up to you to do your homework. Don't be afraid to look up the public records of a person if you feel he or she might have a questionable past history. There are websites, such as Public Records Database that can help you do a background check. For most people, you won't need to do this, but if you have any doubts, this can help you rule out the wrong person. Keep the dos and don'ts of online dating in mind as you search for your special someone.