Tinder can be a great way to meet someone new. Whether you are interested in a long-term relationship or just looking to date casually, there are a few ways you can set yourself up for meeting your love life goals.
Creating an Awesome Profile
Your profile is how someone will initially get to know you. Although it can't fully describe you as a person, you can give those who are looking at it a brief snapshot of your personality.
Setting Up Your Profile
After signing up, you can edit the About section adding a few lines about yourself. Chances are people are going to spend only a few moments looking at this, so try to show off your personality. If you're funny, snarky or sarcastic, show that off! Give the reader a real taste for how you communicate. Remember, the reader will probably skim if your paragraph is too long, so get to the point quickly.
Selecting a Good Profile Picture
This is probably what most people will look at first, so you want to make sure that your picture stands out and represents who you are. Keep in mind if you add other pictures that get more swipes, Tinder will automatically change your profile picture to your most swiped image. Try not to overthink which picture best represents you and keep the following in mind when you pick a photo.
- Show off your best features by highlighting your height, amazing eyes or beautiful hair.
- Whether you look best dressed up or dressed down, pick something that captures your everyday style. This will give the viewer a look at the real you.
- Try to use a profile picture that only has you in it. Those with a ton of people in it can be confusing for the viewer to figure out.
- Ask friends for opinions on pictures that capture you well. If you don't have any, ask a buddy to snap a picture of you.
- Make sure the picture is clear and not blurry.
- If you add other pictures, make sure your profile picture actually looks like you. If you look different in every picture you upload, you may get fewer swipes.
Quick Tips for Getting Started
Tinder can be accessed by your computer or laptop and by downloading the app at the Google or Apple store. After signing up and setting up your profile you can begin searching for potential matches by swiping right or left. If both parties swipe right, you will be matched and able to chat.
You can sign up using your Facebook login, or by giving them your phone number. You will then be prompted to enter your full name, birthday, and gender. Next, you will create a password and agree to the terms of service. Signing up is free and takes only a few minutes to get started. The Tinder app is compatible with both Android and Apple devices.
Online dating can create more of a disconnected, anonymous feeling, but keep in mind there are real people on the other end receiving your messages. Be honest, kind and courteous when chatting with the people you've matched with, just as you would with someone you met in person. When it comes to meeting up, keep your initial contacts strictly to public areas and always let a friend or family member know where you are. Be honest about what you are looking for, either on your profile or during a chatting session. This will let you both decide if you are appropriate matches for each other.
When it comes to staying safe, be sure to trust your gut instinct. If something feels off or suspicious, pay attention and use your best judgment. Just like meeting a new person at a bar or coffee shop be mindful of how much information you share with them. Never give out your address, financial information or social security number. Tinder notes that they will not send an email requesting your username or password so if you do receive an email, go ahead and report it to them.
Reporting Inappropriate Behavior
If you come across someone who is asking for your personal information, donations or money, is offensive or harassing you can block and report the user to Tinder. To block someone on Tinder, click on the messages you've had with this person. In the top right corner click more, then click unmatch. This will block future communication with them. To report someone to Tinder, click the chat and then click on the three dots in the top right. Next, select report (insert name).
To unsubscribe you will need to do more than just delete the app on your phone. Doing so will not deactivate your account, it will just remove it from your phone. To delete your account go to https://account.gotinder.com/login. Log in to your account and then select delete account. You will be prompted to confirm this choice immediately. Logging in again, even after your account is deleted, will reopen your account.
Getting the Most Out of Tinder
If you have been using Tinder for a while and aren't having as much success as you hoped for, there are a few things you can do that make your profile stand out even more. Keep these in mind:
- To show off your personality, connect your Tinder to your Instagram account.
- Select your pictures strategically and remember that anything that stands out can make it easier for the viewer to connect with you. For instance, a picture with your dog, or at your favorite restaurant, can make for great conversation starters.
- Tinder lets you use GIFs in their messenger. Feel free to let your silly side out and spice up your messages.
- If you initiate the conversation, keep your opening lines short and sweet. Try to use their profile to help you connect with a common interest.
- Don't do forced bathroom selfies. They come off as a bit cheesy and typically bathrooms don't have great lighting.
- When you do match with someone, don't be afraid to make the first move. You both are most likely overloaded with likes and matches, so if you're really interested, go for it.
Once you've explored Tinder and set up your profile, take some time getting to know the site. Remember to enjoy yourself as you get to know new potential matches.