Online dating doesn't have to be all serious business. Show off your personality and capture that special someone's attention from the first chat with a little humor like these funny one-liners and ice breaker jokes.
Twisted Technology Terminology
Since you're getting to know each other, and mostly communicating through dating websites, apps, chat rooms, and text messages why not tailor your opening line to these unique circumstances? Take common tech terms and turn them into ultimate funny ice breakers for online dating your match will never forget.
Internet dating and safety go hand-in-hand. Open with a comment on the other person's looks by saying, "You must have a big firewall, being so hot and all." If you prefer a less superficial approach, you could type, "Is this a good spot to phish? I'm looking for your personal information."
Make light of the fact that your conversation isn't actually a conversation, it's an exchange of typed words with icebreaker jokes like these.
- Do you type here often?
- sjljjjgsk... Sorry, I just had a keystroke looking at your photo.
- Wanna meet me at the space bar for a (beer, wine, or cocktail emoticon)?
- Are you stuck on Caps Lock? Because you seem like the BOLD type!
- Can I borrow your F1 key? I need help talking to this cute guy/girl.
Dating App Icebreakers
People on dating apps and websites sometimes seem to use their language. Use these common phrases and turn them into a winning icebreaker. For example, if you're after a mostly physical relationship, you might say, "Is your name Hansel/Gretel? Because I just breadcrumbed my way to your inbox." You could also increase your chances of getting a confirmed match with a line like, "Can you put on a pair of gloves to keep your finger from swiping left." or "Life or death decision: swipe left or right?"
Re-imagined Classic Pick Up Lines
Classic pickup lines don't typically work because they're good, they work because they're cheesy and humorous. Check out these reworked classics made for online chats.
Other website and app names also make great replacements for typical pickup line locales like bars or Heaven. Try leading with something trendy like "Are we a snap? Because whenever I look at your profile, everyone else disappears." If you're more old-school, bring up a dated online tool to show your personality by typing "Do you have Google Maps? Cuz I got lost in your profile."
Add Tech Terms
If you want to re-imagine an old pick up line for modern times, replace a few words with common technology terms like these.
- There's no ESC now; I've sent the first message!
- If I had a bitcoin for every time I saw someone as beautiful as you, I'd have one bitcoin.
- Do you believe in love at first type, or do I need to send another message?
- Can I borrow your keyboard? Because I want to backspace your past and type our future.
- Is your keyboard broken? It seems to be missing M E.
- Your battery must be running low cuz your profile's been running through my mind all day.
- I think my computer's memory is shot; it doesn't seem to remember our date. Oh wait, that was in my dreams!
Innovative Icebreaker Invitations
If you prefer opening with a date invitation, give your request more personality with online dating humor.
Sometimes you simply want a fun way to ask someone on a date. Try out these internet-related invites.
- I asked my computer for advice on how to ask you out... wanna go out for a byte?
- I tried calling tech support first, but they couldn't help me get a date with you!
- My avatar thinks your avatar's cute. Wanna set them up on a date?
Go bold and simple with, "I like your face, love to see what it's attached to - wanna meet up?" You could also try, "On a scale of one to ten, how close is your profile picture to your actual face?" If you're less forward, try something subtle such as, "I'd love to see what you look like without pixels, can we connect IRL?" There's also the humorous option: "I think my computer's got the Disney virus. Every time I click on your profile I get Goofy!"
Riddle Me This
Offer up a coy invitation when you pose your invite as a riddle. If your potential date is smart enough to figure it out, you're sure to meet up and have a great time.
- Holla at me $#), Starbucks on 4th! - The symbols are on the same keys as 430, so even though it looks like you just swore at the person it was actually code for the meetup time.
- Copper Uranium Astatine Olive Garden Monday night? - On the periodic table, the symbol for Copper is C, the symbol for Uranium is U and the symbol for Astatine is At.
- Do you like me? <kbd> y or n - In basic HTML code the second part simply means type "y" or "n."
- I'd like to Ctrl + C your profile then Ctrl + V you into my life.
Lead With Humor
Online dating can be frustrating, creepy, and disheartening, but it can also be lots of fun. Show potential mates your lighter side with opening lines, questions and icebreakers meant to spark a smile.