Compliments can feel amazing to receive, especially on a date. Depending on your specific circumstances and how you feel in the moment, there are many options when it comes to responding to compliments.
How to Respond to a Compliment
Depending on an individual's personality and the experiences they've been through, everyone will have a unique interpretation and reaction to receiving a compliment.
If the Compliment Is Flirty
- "Thanks so much- I picked this outfit just for you."
- "I think you're really attractive too."
- "Thanks so much- I love how (insert another personality trait) you are too."
If You're Shy
If you're shy or just generally feel uncomfortable receiving compliments, you can keep your response brief. In response, you can say:
- "Thanks- that's nice of you to say."
- "I appreciate you saying that."
- "That's nice to hear."
- "That's very sweet."
If You're Witty or Sarcastic
If you receive a compliment and want to respond in a witty or sarcastic way, you can say:
- I don't think I heard you, mind repeating that?"
- "I think I'm in love with you."
- "Well I won't argue with that."
- "Wow, keep em' coming."
- "And what else do you like about me?"
How to Respond to a Compliment Text
If you receive a sweet compliment text, you can respond with:
- "Thanks - you made my day."
- "Well thanks - if you could see me, I'm full on blushing!"
- "I so appreciate you saying that - that was so sweet of you!"
- "Thanks so much - I really like your (insert a personality trait).
How Do You Graciously Accept a Compliment?
Accepting a compliment from your date or partner can feel difficult for some individuals for various reasons. If you aren't sure what to say, you can consider:
- "Thank you so much, I really appreciate hearing that from you."
- "That means a lot coming from you."
- "Your opinion really matters to me, so that's really nice to hear."
How Do You Respond to a Compliment on Social Media?
On social media, you can leave a shorter response and include an emoji too. You can consider saying:
- "Thanks!" (insert heart emoji)
- "Aww, you're the sweetest!"
- "Look who's talking!"
- "Well, you're not bad yourself!"
How to Respond to a Compliment on Tinder
If you're using Tinder or another dating app and someone gives you a compliment and you want to respond back, you can say:
- "Aww, thanks so much."
- "Right back at ya."
- "You're so sweet!"
- "That's so nice of you to say!"
Thanks for the Compliment Reply
If you want to respond in a simple way and thank your date or partner for the compliment, you can say:
- "Thanks so much - I really appreciate you saying that."
- "Thank you - that was really sweet to say."
- "Wow, thanks so much."
- "Thanks - that means a lot."
If You Want to Compliment Your Date Back
If you and your date are hitting it off and you want to give a genuine compliment back, you can say:
- "Thanks so much, I really like how honest and upfront you are (or other personality trait)."
- "It's really refreshing to meet someone who has a similar sense of humor - I love how sarcastic you are."
- "It's so rare to meet such a kindhearted person - I'm grateful to be here with you."
- "We're both clearly in the complimenting mood because I think you're pretty incredible too."
If the Compliment Makes You Feel Unsafe
If the person you're with says something that makes you feel emotionally and/or physically unsafe (even if they say it was a compliment), know that you don't even need to respond and can exit the situation as safely as you possibly can. If there's a chance they misspoke and you don't feel physically threatened, you can say:
- "Help me understand what you mean by that."
- "That comment made me feel uncomfortable. Is that what you meant to say?"
- "I don't tolerate being spoken to like that and I'm going to leave - don't contact me again."
Know that a "compliment" that aims to scare, intimidate, or threaten you is not a true compliment, even if the speaker says it was. Go with your gut, and if you feel unsafe, find a safe way to excuse yourself and leave.
What Do You Say When Someone Pays You a Compliment?
When responding to a compliment, think about how receiving it made you feel. If you feel emotionally and physically safe, you can:
- Offer a witty response
- Thank your date or partner for the compliment
- Give a compliment in return
How to Reply to a Compliment
When you receive a compliment while on a date, go with your gut regarding your response. Know that you are not obligated to give a compliment back or even respond if the compliment is inappropriate and threatens your physical and/or emotional wellbeing. If you feel comfortable with how the compliment was relayed, you can take it as an opportunity to respond graciously and maybe even give your date a genuine compliment in return.