With online dating, it may be difficult to come up with what to say after someone reaches out to you. Whether you are shy or outgoing, know there are plenty of options to choose from that will reflect your personality.
Online Dating Etiquette
Unlike in person communication, online dating has its own nuances that can take some time to get used to.
How Do You Respond to Hello on the Dating App?
- Hi, I'm (insert name), so nice to meet you. It looks like you're interested in (insert interests). I'd love to hear more about that.
- Hi, how are you doing today? I love that you're into (insert mutual interest).
- Hey, what are you up to today? BTW, your profile cracked me up. It seems like you definitely have a great sense of humor!
- Hi, so nice to meet you. I noticed you like (insert something from profile). I love that too!
Funny First Message Online Dating Examples
Reciting a silly joke or making a sarcastic comment can let the person you're interested in know a bit more about your personality.
- If you're looking for someone to curl up with and watch a bunch of reality tv, look no further! Oh, I'm (insert name) by the way.
- Insert funny joke. Hi, I'm (insert name).
- What do you think the best pick up line is that ever existed?
How to Respond to Online Dating Message Not Interested
If you're not interested in someone, or are seeing other people, you can say something simple that gets the point across. Some examples:
- Thanks so much for reaching out, but I've started seeing someone else.
- I'm so flattered that you're interested in getting to know me, but to be honest I don't think we're a fit.
- Hey, I don't think we'd work out based on our interests. Best of luck!
If at any point, communication becomes incessant after you've let them know you're not interested, go ahead and block their profile. If you feel like the communication is inappropriate, you can also notify the site and file a complaint. Chances are if they're ignoring your wishes and violating your requests, they are doing so to to others and may be removed from the site completely.
How Do You End Your First Message Online Dating?
When sending a first message, it's nice to end on a question to keep the conversation going, or to share a bit about yourself that gives the other individual an opportunity to ask you more questions. Examples include:
- I'd love to hear about (insert one of their interests)!
- What do you think of (insert mutually interested topic)?
- I'm looking for a (insert type of relationship), how about you?
- It seems like you're into (insert topic), I love (insert topic) too. What are your thoughts on (insert topic related question)?
Dating Etiquette Tips
Online dating etiquette differs from in person dating because the initial communication tends to be via chat. This means that it can be harder to read each other, so it's especially important to be clear about what you want.
How Long Should You Wait to Respond to an Online Dating Message?
Online dating is often accompanied by an inundation of messages from many people that may feel overwhelming for some users. If you're into someone, respond right away. Because you don't know each other's schedules, respond if you are interested to see if they're a good match for your needs. That said, it can take people up to a week to respond to you depending on their schedule, obligations, if they're dating other people, and other various factors. Online dating can be hard to read, so be upfront about your needs, and if you like someone, connect with them as soon as you are able to.
Is It Ok to Date More Than One Person at a Time?
Yes, it is absolutely okay to date more than one person at a time if you're comfortable doing so. Just be sure to be upfront with those who you are dating, so you can start off your relationships with trust and honesty.
How Do You Respond to an Online Dating Message?
How you choose to respond to an online dating message will depend on your personality. Whether you choose to keep it simple, be silly, or throw out something a bit more unique, be true to yourself so you can attract others who like you for you.