One problem with traditional dating sites, like eHarmony and Match, is that they don't contain appropriate categories for transgender personals, and if they do, often times the labels are still not wholly inclusive. People who are part of the transgender community may become frustrated by sites that try to fit people into boxes of male or female because it can make it difficult for them to meet the type of life partner or friend they are seeking.
Transgender Dating Sites
The following are some sites you can visit for transgender personals:
- TS Dates - According to their site, TS Dates has over 78 million members and caters to transgender, as well as transsexual individuals. Overall, this site was rated five stars in all categories including, active members, privacy settings, features, value, and chance of finding a date. It is also ranked number one in terms of traffic for transgender dating sites, and number four for dating sites overall. If interested in joining, this site is free to use, with the option of upgrading to their premium membership, which begins around 30 dollars a month, and offers discounts the more months you participate. When you unlock the premium membership, you will have access to features such as their dating blog, magazine, chat room and video chat. If you are looking for a casual relationship, this site may be the one for you. This site is one of the best for hooking up with local singles. It is much like Grindr for the transgender community in that you can search for local singles, create a free profile and wink at those who interest you. However, in order to communicate directly via chat, you must pay for a membership.
- TG Personals - Another highly sought after site is TG Personals, which was featured as a top site on Datingadvice.com due to its ease of use, and high quality features. TG Personals allows people to look for potential partners who are transgender males, transgender females, cross-dressers, androgynous or inter sexed. They can also find people who are simply seeking a transgender partner even though they are not transgender themselves. The site is free to join, browse, and respond to ads. This site is more geared toward dating and allows you to search for and match with individuals who interest you. When you visit their page, you are able to view who is currently online, as well as new members. This site allows you to search specifically for sexual partners, friends, roommates and potential partners. This site is one of the best free dating sites for transgender singles, and is very user friendly. Without any hidden costs, users have access to blogs, news, and their matches which are filtered during your search.
- TransgenderDate - This free transgender personals site is community based with blogs, forums and chat rooms. It has separate sections for pre-op, post-op, and non-op transgender people. This site comes with mixed reviews, but the majority of people have rated this site a three overall, noting that one of their best features is allowing users to make suggestions about how they would like the site to operate. As far as transgender dating sites go, this is the only one that prioritizes incorporating user feedback. Their goals include making sure users feel comfortable, safe and are able to have fun. They also aim to combat transgender stereotypes that are hurtful and inaccurate. This is a top site when it comes to privacy, as your profile will not show up in searches, and information is never sold to third party payers. Many users also use this site to find friendships and get more plugged into the transgender community.
- LVTG.com - This site is specifically targeted to transgender singles in the Las Vegas area, but also caters to people around the world. The ads tend to feature people that are transgender male to female. People can browse featured ads before signing up. One drawback of this site is there is only one transgender category that encompasses all classes to make for less specific searches. This site has received some rave reviews from users around the world who frequent the site as a helpful transgender resource. This site allows users to upload up to 100 photos on their profile, the most of any of the transgender dating sites. Users can search for friends, long term relationships, and more casual relationships. It is also noted that this site has one of the highest amounts of cross dressing users. Although the site is free to use, if you decide to upgrade to the penthouse plan, you will have access to their advanced search, be able to send and receive emails instead of just showing interest, and be able to appear first in other people's searches. It costs around 17 dollars per month, with discounts when you purchase multiple months at a time. The site also has a newsletter sign up, and offers users discounts and promotions.
- OkCupid- With around 10 million users worldwide, this site is in the process of creating more inclusive options for transgender individuals. Currently they offer 21 gender options and 11 sexual orientation choices that you can access once you become a member. The site notes that membership is always free and signing up is a breeze. OkCupid is one of the first of the big dating sites to include more gender and sexuality options, purposefully hoping to create a more inclusive environment for its users. Hopefully other sites will move towards this shift as well and offer equal access to transgender individuals. This is one of the only trans dating sites that uses an algorithm to match users with appropriate partners depending on their personalities. This site is geared more towards dating and serious relationships.
- MyTranssexualDate - This site is mainly for transgender women who are interested in dating men. This site is free to join for transgender women, with men paying a monthly fee. The monthly fee allows men to access the chat feature. With over 85 thousand members, this site offers international connectivity for its users, and aims to provide an educational platform that supports the rights of transgender individuals. They also note that one of their goals is to combat the over-sexualized portrayal of transgender women, and offer them a premium dating service. The company is mainly run by transgender women, who note that safety is their top priority, and moderators stay on top of scammers, fake profiles and inappropriate users. This allows the user to enjoy a safe, open environment where they can feel free to be themselves and date genuine individuals. This site is the only trans dating site that discourages one time hook-ups and promotes long-term relationships. The site can also be used in nine different languages, the most of any other transgender dating site! This would be a great site to use if you are a trans woman looking for love.
- When placing a personal, take your time researching where you would like it to be posted, as sites will attract different types of people.
- People using these personals should watch out for anyone who: says they need help transferring funds overseas, asks for personal information, is not OK meeting in public for a first date, requests money to help with travel costs, and gives you a suspicious phone number.
- Disclosing whether you are pre or post-op is up to your discretion. Many sites will give you the option to share this information on your profile. Share what you feel comfortable with.
- If you are curious about whether someone you are chatting with is pre or post-op, be considerate when asking. Note that some individuals may not feel comfortable sharing this information right away.
- Other places to meet transgender people online besides the personals sites include Meetup.com, ExperienceProject.com, and Facebook. People looking for friendships and pen pal relationships may want to check out these options first. There is less pressure to find someone to hook up with since these sites do not focus on dating but rather on community.
When it comes to picking a site to use, keep in mind what you are looking for specifically so you can help narrow down your choices. Transgender dating sites are a great way to find a spectrum of relationships, from casual to serious. Have fun and enjoy creating new connections!