Expressing how you feel for someone (especially someone super important to you) can be really hard, but there are plenty of things to say to the one you love that tell them you care for them deeply. You can say meaningful things to the love of your life without being cheesy too. Sayings don't always have to be romantic or sugary sweet for them to be well-received.
We don't always know how others, even the people we love most, feel and think about us and about our relationships. A little romance can go a long way, but what is really important is letting your loved one know that you respect them and want to learn more about what they are thinking. When you put a little thought into it, the things you say to someone you love can show that you really care about how your partner feels and who they are as a person.
Meaningful and Deep Things to Say to Someone You Love
Love is a profound emotion, and the right words to express it can also be very deep. If you're having trouble trying to come up with things to say about love to the person that means everything to you, we can help. These are a few ways to express your feelings:
- In this world where everything is always changing and it all sometimes feels so dark, your love is the light that guides me.
- Sometimes I feel like a distant star alone in the dark universe. Then I feel the light of your love on me and know I'm here with you.
- I feel like I couldn't fully see the world until I found you. Your perspective and your heart help me understand.
- I will never stop loving the way your mind works. Watching you solve a problem or think about an idea is endlessly fascinating to me.
- Being in love with you is one of the best feelings in the world. You're like a book I can't put down or a song I want to listen to on repeat forever.
- There are so many people in the world who don't have what we do. When I take a moment to think about my life with you, I just feel so grateful.
- You are my comfort and my home. You make hard days easier for me. Thank you for being in my life.
- Love is a verb, and I want to show you every day with my actions how much you mean to me.
Thoughtful Things to Say to Someone You Love
Showing how much you care means showing you're thinking about that special person. These are a few things to say (or questions to ask) the one you love that may seem insignificant but can make them feel very special:
- Tell me all about your day.
- What do you think about (insert topic here)?
- What would you like to do for dinner tonight?
- How are you feeling?
- How did that important (meeting, interview, presentation, etc.) go?
- What would you do this weekend if you could do anything you wanted?
- What is new with your family/friends?
Special Compliments That Convey Love
If you admire their hair or eyes or mind or pretty much anything else, speak up. Everyday comments and compliments can make your lover smile:
- You look beautiful today, just like every day.
- You always know the right thing to say to make me smile.
- I had a bad day, but as soon as I saw you, I cheered right up.
- I miss you when you're not here. You make my day complete.
- You are the smartest person. (Substitute smartest with any positive adjective you like.)
- You're so funny. No one makes me laugh like you do.
What to Say When Someone You Love Is Having a Hard Day
Life is hard, and one of the great things about being in a relationship is supporting one another. Sometimes you need things to say to the one you love when he or she needs some serious cheering up. One thing to do is bring up an inside joke between the two of you that always puts a smile on your lover's face. If that doesn't work, try saying one of these:
- Whatever it is, we can handle it better together.
- I'm here for you. You're not alone. Can I give you a hug?
- I know it's been a hard day. Let me get you a cup of tea (or coffee or wine).
- You are amazing to me. Even if it doesn't feel like you have this under control, you totally do.
- You look like you need a little fun. What about a movie (or board game or hike, etc)?
- You will be a stronger person by making it through this.
Romantic Things to Say to the One You Love
While not everything has to be romantic, this is about sharing your love, after all. These are just a few of the special romantic things to say to your lover:
- Every day I'm with you, my love for you gets stronger. I can't wait until tomorrow.
- My life is so much richer because I have you in it.
- I can't stop gazing into your captivating eyes.
- I cannot imagine my life without you being a part of it.
Beautiful words and sayings are great, but you don't have to say anything fancy to be romantic. You can always just say, "I love you."
Still not quite sure what to say? Think of one specific thing you love about your person and tell them that. Being specific is always more powerful, and you'll definitely get a smile.
More Inspiration for Things to Say to the Love of Your Life
You aren't limited to short thoughtful ideas. Consider using things like quotes and poetry to express your love to someone.
Quotes and Sayings
Romantic quotes and sayings are a lovely way to tell someone how you feel. You can add these to a greeting card, use them in a text, or just whisper them in your beloved's ear:
- Sweet, charming phrases - Just because you're being romantic doesn't mean you can't be charming as well. Try one of these phrases to make your loved one see you in a different light. A thoughtful romantic may find a little sweet saying the perfect solution when tongue-tied.
- Cute love quotes - Pick out something cute to say to your partner that adds a little sweetness to your romance. Or share thoughtful quotes about love that celebrate life's big and little moments.
- Love captions - Share your feelings on social media along with an adoring caption and let your person - and the world - know how much you love them.
If the person you love is far away, say a long distance love poem while talking on the phone to let him or her know you're thinking about of them. Some of the best love poems come from famous authors, so don't be afraid to try something someone else has written as a starting point or to go with your own saying.
Voice Your Love
Love notes, letters, and texts are wonderful for sharing your feelings with someone you love. However, nothing quite compares to voicing your love with a few thoughtful words from the heart. Telling how you feel doesn't have to be fancy; it's just about sharing how important someone is to you. If you do that, you're sure to make them smile.