So, how did Russian dating become your topic of interest? Maybe you have developed a long distant relationship with an online match in Russia or are curious to ask out the cute Russian girl two doors down. You may simply be a Russian who is trying to find the best way to meet other Russians. Whatever your story, you will find some answers here.
If you are intimately involved in Russian dating, understanding the Soviet people, their culture, and traditions is a vital process. Traditions in Russia are more important than their laws. When dating, it is essential to learn the traditional roles of men and women in Russia. Even if your date has already transitioned to a more modern view, keep in mind that some of his or her family may not have let go of their traditions.
Russian men conventionally have seen themselves as superior to women. Historically in Russian families, women were expected to serve their men, take care of the children, and perform all household chores. In turn, men tend to be quite chivalrous with the women in their lives - being particularly crafty at eloquent compliments, bringing flowers, and showering with affections.
Customarily, Russian women put up with this attitude and pride themselves on their hard work and the ability to care for their men and children. They are strong, caring, and hardworking women who also like to be feminine and attractive. Traditional women in Russia want to marry quickly, as single women are often looked down on and pitied.
As a people, Russians tend to stand close together and speak softly during conversation. They touch often while talking and see this casual contact as a sign of friendship. Kissing is particularly common and occurs frequently between friends, including the same gender. Russians are known to be opinionated and emotional, especially in their interactions with friends, business partners and lovers.
As life in Russia is known to be difficult, the Soviet people are used to suffering. Through this they have developed a strong sense of pride in their culture and nationality.
Russian Orthodoxy Religion
For many Russians, religion provides a powerful influence. The Russian Orthodoxy is the most common sect, but other religions are prevalent in their culture. In general, going to church is particularly in vogue for many Russians. The Orthodoxy worships the Trinity, Isus Christos (Jesus Christ), Bogorodista (the Virgin Mary), and numerous saints. Each saint has different powers and depending on the worshipers needs, they pray to different ones each time.
Visiting a Russian Orthodoxy service is a true window into their culture. If you do decide to attend one and are not a current member of the church, keep the following tips in mind:
- Never hold hands or place hands in pockets
- No pictures or video is allowed
- Don't wear shorts or sleeveless shirts
- Women must wear modest skirts or dresses, never pants
- Men should not wear a hat
Tips for Russian Interactions
Even if you are Russian, it might be good to keep the following traditions in mind - as you may come across a variety of backgrounds in a Russian dating experience.
- Russians are known to be some of the most serious social drinkers in the world - vodka anyone?
- Politics is generally only considered a topic for men to discuss.
- A fashionable wardrobe is important in Russian culture.
- In Russia, strangers do not make eye contact on the street or acknowledge each other.
- Russians hide all body noises and avoid talk of bodily functions.
- It is considered rude to sit on the floor or whistle indoors.
- Culturally a very superstitious group - so never give your date an even number of flowers as it will bring her misfortune.
- When invited over, especially the first time, always bring a hostess gift.
- In a social setting, wait for a toast before you begin to drink.
Russian Dating Online
Finding a good match with a fellow Russian online appears to be a tricky endeavor. With thousands of sites advertising Russian women and mail order brides, scam is a word written all over it. Whether you hope to meet a Russian man or woman, it is best to stick with the reputable dating sites and search specifically for someone with a Russian background. Some good places to try are:
- New-Dating.com - A dating site specifically for individuals who are looking for dates worldwide. They even provide the option to view the site entirely in Russian.
- Match.com - A popular dating site with a large database of potential partners. It just might be worth the search to see if you can find a Russian date here.
- Free Online Dating - A LoveToKnow article with some free places to find a date on the web. Since it is free, there will be nothing lost by looking for a few potential Russian dates at some of these highlighted sites.
- Interracial Match.com - If you are looking for an interracial relationship with a Russian partner, this might be worth a try.