There is an old saying that "familiarity breeds contempt" and many people feel this idiom translating into their own sex lives. The challenge for many couples is to bring romance into their daily routines and especially into their sexuality. Of course, the most important thing to note is that, if romance isn't present in your other activities, it will surely be lacking in the bedroom.
The Importance of Sex
Romantic sex may be lacking in a relationship when at least one party does not understand how important sex is for a couple's unity and general well-being. Research suggests that the benefits of having satisfying sex last for up to two days for a couple and help increase the pair's feeling of connection and closeness. These factors are critical in fostering a loving relationship.
Couples who are attempting to bring the romance back into the bedroom must first:
- Understand that sex is an important act of bonding--it is meaningful
- Prioritize this act by daydreaming about one another in an effort to breed excitement and appreciation
- Ensure that sex is an expression of this meaningful love
The Heart of Romance
Individuals who want romance in their lives must acknowledge that what makes romance passionate is the fact that it is meaningful. Romantic sex doesn't always carry the passionate excitement of a casual fling with a stranger, but instead, it is even more sensual and exciting because it carries with it deep emotions and a strong connection.
Think about make-up sex and why it can be so satisfying. It is because fights and breakups remind people of exactly what losses they face should a couple permanently split. Sometimes events that invoke the fear of separation are truly healthy reminders of the importance of prioritizing the integrity of the relationship. The couples who engage in regular meaningful sex, which includes make-up sex, are actually forging a strong connection which can lead to an even healthier sex life.
How to Ignite Romance
Romantic sex is not the result of mere ambiance. Laying out rose petals on the bed is a classic move, but it doesn't really help to generate the immense desire necessary to produce a genuinely romantic moment. Romance comes from within. Sex that is romantic can occur almost anywhere or anytime by couples who are constantly consumed with one other.
Creating the Right Environment
In order to build a truly romantic sexual escapade, both parties must be in the right frame of mind. Note that toxic roadblocks such as addiction, abuse, and adultery can negatively impact a couple's ability to set the tone for romantic sex and should be addressed as soon as possible. Helpful tips for getting in the mood include:
- Before seeing one another, individuals should spend some time reminiscing about how they met, focusing on whatever aspect of their early relationship seemed romantic. Doing this helps to reignite the fire.
- It is important for both people in a relationship to be somewhat sentimental. Sentiment helps to breed meaning in your life. This meaningful mindset will carry over into the bedroom.
- Ensure that your sexual environment is clean, neat, and conducive to intimacy.
Romantic Sexual Ideas
Sweet gestures can help set the tone for a truly special moment. Once your romantic environment is ready, help you and your partner get in the mood by:
- Whispering sweet or sexy sayings into each other's ears.
- Taking turns giving each other sensual massages.
- Letting your partner know which move of theirs turns you on the most.
- Complimenting your favorite part of your partner's body.
- Gently stroking your partner's face.
The First Time
Romance and sex aren't just issues that long-term committed couples have to deal with. This is equally important for individuals in a new relationship who are looking to take it to the next level. Everyone wants the first time with a new partner to be romantic and special. In order to make this dream a reality, it can be helpful to:
- Avoid planning. A planned first-time sexual experience can actually create more anxiety than romance. Focusing on an event instead of the two parties involved can actually lower the meaning factor and increase stress.
- Make sure you've spent enough time with this person to conclude that he or she is truly special.
- It's often touted that romantic sex is emphasized by a new, remote, or extravagant location. This is true for some couples. However, others may actually find familiar surroundings to be the most romantic as this is a pleasant reminder of a couple's first meetings or general time together.
- Wait it out. Emotional foreplay is every bit as powerful as physical. The longer you hold out, the more time you both will spend fantasizing about each other, making the denouement all the more passionate.
- Keep the sex slow so that you both can enjoy every minute together.
Consulting With Your Lover
People are different in terms of what they consider to be truly romantic, which is why a little research is important. Even if you've been married for years, it's never a bad idea to check in with your partner to learn more about their sexual preferences. A romantic act will often precede romantic sex, and spouses are typically pleased to know that you've gone the extra mile to meet their needs.