Relationships are complicated, and knowing the right questions to ask your girlfriend can really make the difference between a happy couple and an unhappy one. Take advantage of any time you have together to get to know your girl better through different types of questions.
Types of Questions to Ask Your Girlfriend
The fact is, questions to ask your girlfriend come in different varieties, and have different purposes. Here are some examples though every relationship is different and not all questions will be appropriate for everyone.
Questions to Ask a New Girlfriend
When a relationship is new, it's all about getting to know one another. The questions are easy to answer and not too deep, but they can tell you a lot about one another.
- Describe your prefect date?
- Are scary movies your thing? Would you prefer something more romantic?
- What's your go to snack at the movie?
- What's one novel that you couldn't live without?
- Do you like soft and cuddly pets or something more exotic?
- Do you prefer going for a hike or sitting in together talking?
- What's the greatest adventure you've ever been on?
- Outdoors or indoors what's better? Why?
- Roller coasters: Love em or hate em? Why?
- Hands down what is the best car ever?
- Have you ever ridden the subway?
- Where is the best place in the world you've ever been?
- Where is the top place on your bucket list to visit?
- Can you speak more than one language?
- What is your favorite color or colors? Why?
- What is the best restaurant you've ever been to?
- What food couldn't you live without?
- Are you a Kenny Chesney or Rob Zombie kind of girl?
- What designer couldn't you live without? Why?
- Is silver or gold more your style?
Flattering and Romantic Questions
Once you've gotten past the initial dating phase and are more comfortable with one another, you can try fun questions that speak both about your tastes and what you like. Not only are these flattering, but they can give your insight into your partner's preferences.
- Am I your ideal type? What is your ideal type?
- What about me attracted you? Why?
- If you had to choose, would it be presents or chocolate?
- What was your best present ever? Why?
- What is your ideal Valentine's Day date?
- What's the first word that popped into your mind when you first saw me?
- What's the best way to make you happy? What was your happiest moment?
- Should I give you a nickname? What's some of your favorites?
- What makes you blush?
- Do you like public affection?
- Where's your favorite place to be kissed?
- What's the most romantic first kiss?
- What do you cherish the most in the world?
- What does sexy mean to you?
- How do you express your feelings with words, actions or presents?
Cute Interesting Questions to Ask Your Girlfriend
No matter what stage you're at in your relationship fun getting to know you questions help you learn about every aspect of your girlfriend's personality. Many fun relationship questions for couples can be asked of either person during date nights or relaxed moments at home to spark an interesting conversation.
- Which is cuter, a baby or a puppy?
- What's something you do to flirt with me that I don't notice?
- Do you like to be the big spoon or the little spoon?
- What's something that seems silly to others, but really freaks you out?
- Would you consider yourself more of a nerd, dweeb, or geek?
- Do you like surprises? Name the best surprise you've ever received.
- Did your heart flutter when we first met?
- Would you kiss me in front of your friends?
- What do I do that makes you smile?
- If we went on a vacation together, where would we go? Why?
- If we were on Survivor, could we make it?
- What is your favorite app? Why?
- What's the cutest Snapchat filter?
Personal Questions to Ask a Girlfriend
Another practical area lies in the physical side of a relationship. Sometimes these questions can be embarrassing or awkward at first, but they are integral to a safer and more secure physical connection. Some questions should be asked before you engage in a physical relationship while other questions to ask your lover can come after physical contact.
- How do you feel about birth control?
- What do you think is a good level of intimacy?
- Have you ever been cheated on? Would you cheat?
- Where is the strangest place that you've had sex?
- How important is sex to you?
- Have you ever been tested for STDs? Have your ever worried about STDs?
- What really turns you on? Why?
- What makes your heart race?
- What body part do you really like?
- What is the worst thing that's happened to you in a previous relationship?
- Do you still love any of your exs?
- What kind of physical affection do you like? What kind do you like giving?
- Can you tell me about your sexual history? (Note: be prepared to share your own)
- What questions do you think about asking before getting intimate, but never work up the nerve to ask?
- What is something you've wanted to try but were too embarrassed?
- What can I do to make you feel sexy?
Question About Your Past
It's all about learning about one another. Not only are you exploring your preferences, but understanding how your beautiful girlfriend became the person that she is. These questions are meant to give you insight into the how she became this wonderful woman.
- What moment in your life taught you the most? What did you learn about yourself?
- Who is your greatest influence? Why were they the greatest?
- What did you want to be when you were a child? Did you follow through with your dream or did it change?
- What was your greatest dream? Are you working toward it or has it changed?
- If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?
- Who was your childhood hero? Why were they your hero? What appealed to you?
- What was the most serious relationship you've been in? What happened?
- Do you think you can be friends with your ex? Why or why not?
- Who in your life has shaped you? For better or for worse?
- What is your deepest heartache? How did it change you as a person?
- What were you like in school? What crowd did you hang out with?
- What was your best childhood memory? Why?
- Who do you take after more? Your mom or dad? Why?
- Are you good at keeping secrets? Do you think there are some secrets that should never be told?
- Was there ever a secret that you didn't keep and now regret it?
Deep Relationship Questions
Everyone can ask surface questions. But to truly understand the essence of a person, you need to dig a little deeper. Use these questions together to ponder your girlfriend's inner most feelings and thoughts.
- What's more important wealth or love? Why? Could you live without either?
- What does friendship mean to you? Have you had friendships that have lasted a lifetime? Why?
- What is one thing in this world that you want to change?
- How important is religion and culture to you? Does your culture shape who you are?
- With all the recent advancements, do you think humans are better or worse off?
- Is a beautiful person with no personality still beautiful? How important is beauty?
- Do you believe that in the vast universe, we are the only intelligent life?
- If the world was ending, what is one object or person you would want by your side? Why is it so important?
- Is yesterday, today or tomorrow more important? Why?
- Does death scare you?
- Did you ever have a moment where time stood still? Why? What happened?
- Is there anyone you would sacrifice yourself for? Who are they? Why?
- Does looking at the stars at night make you feel small? Does this feeling make you happy or sad?
- What is the one thing you want to accomplish in your life? Are you working toward that goal?
- Do you believe in evil? Are people born evil or made evil by circumstance?
What is one thing about the world that makes your heart ache?These kinds of questions will vary the most from couple to couple, but they can be extremely important in avoiding misunderstandings and bickering. Many couples have had huge blowups when one person has not been clear on details; the best rule of thumb to avoid this is to ask when in doubt. Some of these questions can also help you establish your level of relationship compatibility before things get too serious.
- How do you handle loss?
- What's your bad habit?
- What habit annoys you the most?
- Have you ever hit anyone?
- How do you cope with stress? What makes it better?
- How would you handle an argument?
- Are you alright with running late or does that stress you out?
- Where is our relationship going?
- Do you really love me, or is this just a fling?
- Would you be comfortable meeting my parents?
- Do you think we're ready to get engaged?
- What are your expectations about marriage?
- Do you want to have children? Are pets more your thing?
- Do you want to travel or are you a homebody?
What to Avoid When Asking Questions
One kind of question that many men think is flattering is to question some other woman's appearance, trying to cast her in a negative light. "Do you think she realizes that dress makes her look huge?" might seem to be a way to flatter your girlfriend, but it is also likely to make her start to wonder if you think such things about her.
- It's usually best to stay positive, and easy. "Wow, I wonder if she realizes she's the second-most-beautiful woman in the room." is a better question.
- If she's uncomfortable answering your question, move to another topic and avoid putting her in a pressured situation.
- Let questions develop into a natural conversation rather than just firing off question after question.
It's All About Communication
Whatever type of questions you're asking, make sure you ask them. Communication is the best way to keep a connection strong with your girlfriend, and with practice, it will be as natural as the first time you kissed.