People shop, play games, chat and pay bills online; is it any wonder that many are turning to online dating sites to help fulfill their romantic needs as well? Online dating websites help the dating community narrow down the choices, but in the end the "work" of building a relationship is all up to you.
About Online Dating Sites
Online dating sites vary from finding people by random luck to finding the "one" through filling out extensive questionnaires. eHarmony and Match.com both require you to fill out profiles so they can assist you in finding your perfect mate. You can usually create a profile on any of the sites for free. Introducing yourself to someone whose profile catches your eye, however, may cost you.
Specialized Dating Sites
If religion or nationality is important to you, you can register your profile with websites that cater to exclusive groups. Sign up for various religious or nationality online dating sites, from Indian dating to Asian dating. Here are a few for starters:
- Christian Café: Christian Dating Cafe has been matching singles since 1999. This site offers a free 10-day trial. You can pay for your membership by the week, month or year. If you are interested in Christian dating, start at Christian Dating Cafe.
- Christian Mingle: This website has a heavy emphasis on Christianity. Members are encouraged to share their favorite Bible passages and chat about their faith.
- Asian Dating: Asian Dating is a part of the Cupid Media Network. With over 20 million users, Cupid Media allows users to upload videos and engage in online chat.
- Arab Lounge: Arab Lounge claims to be the number one Arab dating website. Through this site you can meet, chat with, or date secular, Muslim and Christian Arabs.
- Black Singles Connection: The Black Singles Connection is geared toward African-Americans. Get started with black dating by sending personal messages and viewing the picture gallery.
- JDate: Jewish dating site, JDate, offers you access to thousands of profiles. This website connects single Jews from around the world.
- BBWPersonalsPlus.com: Big, Beautiful Women is the perfect site for the plus-sized community. Here guys and gals connect for friendship, dating and potential relationships.
Dating directories offer the opportunity to quickly discover a variety of options, instead of searching the engines. While sites like Single Sites offer advertisements and mild propaganda, if you employ them as a simple directory, they do provide a nice resource.
To Pay or Not to Pay...You Decide
If you're truly looking for your other half, there are a few sites you may want to consider. They require everyone to fill out extensive questionnaires for the best possible matches. Some of the guesswork's taken out of the process for you, and you're free to pursue just a few relationships that hold the greatest potential of a successful match. That way, you won't be chasing 60 leads and feeling overwhelmed. They'll present you with those who fit your requirements and share your interests. The downside to these online dating sites is that they're not free. You may be charged up to $50.00/month for the services.
If you're adamant about paying nothing and you don't mind taking your chances, you can always visit free dating sites to see what they have to offer. You won't have to pay any fees, but you'll have to watch out for spammers and other members who aren't quite as serious as you are about online dating.
Online Dating Tip: Be Yourself
Remember, though, that while you're anonymous, you should still be yourself. Brush up on your dating tips and get into circulation. Once you begin your dating search, remember to have fun. Date around; don't get stuck on the first person you go on a date with. It's time to explore--yourself, the world and other people.