Although India has experienced changes in its traditions in part due to Western influences, the culture has held steadfast to many of its traditions and customs. What applies to one region of India may not apply to another region. This is because India has about 29 states, each with a different language, customs etc.
Deep Rooted Indian Traditions
Compared to Western Dating
Dating as we Westerners think of it, involves trial and error. Our parents and our society encourage singles to go out with a number of different people. We are encouraged to date people that are similar to us in their religion, values, and socio-economic status and also who different from ourselves. However, in Western society, we also are free to choose our dating partners. Dating for this purpose would not be appropriate in India.
In general, the people of India tend to marry within their community whether that community exists within India or those of Indian decent living in other countries.
While arranged marriages are still common in India, love marriages have gained in popularity. However, dating in India is for the purpose of "getting to know" your future husband. One of the reasons the notion of dating is still foreign to the Indian people, is because it implies mental and (quite possible) physical contact with many people of the opposite sex. Many Indian parents and Indian society don't believe in a "trial and error" approach to love.
Dating Outside of India
This is not to say that Indian men don't date. Indian men are more likely to date outside of India than those living in India. Since dating is not a customary practice in India, you may discover that Indian men are not as savvy in the dating practices as those cultures where dating in encouraged. A big factor as to whether he will date is his parent's opinions, beliefs, and tolerance. If you are interested in dating an Indian man, I would suggest that you try to learn about his family and culture as this will give you an idea of his beliefs about marriage and family. What beliefs do his parent's hold for him regarding marriage and family? This will help you determine what the likelihood of him dating is as well as what limits he may have for any long-term relationship.
Single Parents and Indian Dating
Some Indian men will date a single parent and some won't date a woman who is a single parent. This holds true for dating outside of the Indian culture.
Indian parents are very, very strict about who their children are allowed to hang around with or date. In a lot of cases they aren't even allowed to date at all (this usually pertains to girls). If they are allowed to date they are generally only allowed to date other Indians who either are family friends, same last name, same village, same religion, or some type of doctor.
For many parents the disproval rests on the fear that the values and traditions of a mixed relationship will negate the passing down of religious and cultural values as well as traditions for future generations and as a result would end that legacy. For other parents the reasons for not wanting their child to marry or even date outside of their religion, race or nationality varies, but the result is still the same.
In Western culture we are used to direct - in your face confrontation between a woman and man. For many cultures, this is disrespectful. Instead, the way to address differences is in private so as to not to embarrass the other person. When talking amongst couples and family in India, you should be genuine, respectful and willing to accommodate their family's values, customs and traditions.
Indian Dating Sites
India's history dates back over 5,000 years and is rich in culture and tradition. One of the strongest traditions relates to marriage and how couples are brought together. Though some matches are made based on mutual attraction, far more couples are the product of arranged marriages, and casual dating without the firm goal of marriage in mind is simply unheard of.
You have a variety of options for meeting other Indian singles. These websites can be used by families arranging marriages as well as singles looking for a mate on their own. Using an Indian dating website will greatly expand your options regardless of how you choose to find your mate.
- Love Awake: Love Awake is for everyone. However, it contains an option to search specifically for Indian singles. This includes both singles living in the Republic of India and singles living abroad.
- Desi Crush: This site allows you to meet other Indian singles in the United States and Canada. The majority of singles on the site are first- and second-generation immigrants from the Indian subcontinent. You can meet people for friendship, dating and marriage. Families are forbidden from posting profiles on your behalf.
- Indian Dating: The first and biggest dating website for Indians singles is Indian Dating. The website is available for free, and you can create a profile and start contacting other Indian singles without spending a dime. You can search for singles based on location, age and religion, allowing you to tailor your search for the perfect mate.
- Desi Kiss: A worldwide site, Desi Kiss is for Indians living all over the world. The site has a five-star safety rating, so you can rest assured that your personal information and private life will remain safe, provided that you take common-sense precautions. Established in 2002, the site is primarily oriented toward Indian singles looking to get married.
- India Match: Thousands of singles join this website every month looking for a place to connect with other Indian singles. Creating a profile is free and the site also includes a section on dating tips for those who require a bit of advice.
Tradition and Technology
However Indians choose to meet, date and marry, one thing is clear. Five thousand years of tradition is deeply ingrained into the culture, and the choice of a marriage partner is still considered one of the most important life decisions ever made. Fortunately, the Internet makes it easier to connect with other Indians who share your religion, cultural values and life goals. In this sense you can target your search in a way that would never be possible off of the Internet. You may find that the right mate for you is someone that you would never otherwise encounter in real life.