Dating questions can range from fun and random to deep and serious. In the beginning of a relationship, it's important to ask questions to get to know each other, but asking the right questions at the right time is equally important. The early stage of dating should be all about having light conversations, especially during the first date or two. As the relationship progresses, get to know you questions for couples can become more in-depth, targeting topics like family and goals.
Having a good list of get to know you questions for dating someone not only helps you understand the person you're seeing, but it can go a long way in helping the two of you avoid those awkward moments of silence. Whether you're in the talking stage of a relationship and need some basic conversation starters, or you're in need of some questions to ask to get to know someone more romantically, the relationship questions listed below can make a difference in getting to know your person.
Fun Get to Know You Questions for the First Date
Getting to know someone is an adventure in itself! As you learn about each other, it's fun to ask silly and random questions that might give you a sense if you're of whether you're on the same page together. Here are some of the best questions to get to know someone when dating:
- If you could have any superhero power, what would it be?
- Would you ever be naked in public?
- What's the best gift anyone has ever given you?
- If you had three wishes, what would they be?
- If you were going to sing karaoke, what song would you choose?
- What is your favorite movie and why?
- Where is your ideal vacation spot?
- Who is your favorite person in the world?
- What makes you feel most alive?
- What's the kindest thing anyone's ever done for you, and why did it mean so much to you?
- What's the craziest thing you hope to do one day?
- What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- Are you a dog person or a cat person?
- Do you like to plan things out or do you prefer to be more spontaneous?
- What are five things I'd see if I walked through your front door?
- What's your favorite type of music?
- What's the weirdest nickname that someone has for you and why?
- If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?
- If you could live during any period in history, when would it be and why?
- Give me three words that describe you.
Deeper Questions to Ask to Get to Know Someone
Once you're past the first date, asking good questions to get to know someone better can help you as you go from casually dating to a potential relationship. At this point it can also be helpful to start diving into the more personal questions to ask to get to know someone. Once you go a little deeper, you'll both start to uncover more about your personal lives and the connection between you.
- What is something you never thought you'd be able to accomplish, but you did?
- If money were no object, what would you do with the rest of your life?
- What is your greatest personal struggle?
- Would you describe your approach to life more like climbing a mountain or getting on a roller coaster?
- Have you ever taken a personality test? What were the results?
- What would you say is the thing that brings you the most joy and fulfillment in life?
- What's something you wish people automatically knew about you?
- What is something you've done in your personal life that you're really proud of?
- Describe a time that you've made a serious mistake and what you've learned from it.
- If there were a national holiday for you, what would it be called and what would the celebration be like?
- What gives you motivation in life? (Go deeper than the surface things).
- What do you think are the most important qualities in a person?
- What (and where) would your dream house be like?
- What is a new personal hobby or activity that you've never tried, but you've always wanted to?
- Name the top five things you are most thankful for in life.
- How would you describe your communication style?
- What is one thing you wish you could instantly be an expert at today?
- What's a random award or recognition you feel you deserve?
- What is your favorite thing to create?
- If you could take a week off from your regular life to immerse yourself in learning something new, what would it be?
Get to Know You Questions for Couples
Now that you've been dating for a while, here are some questions to ask when things are heating up. Remember, getting to know you questions for couples should not feel like an interrogation. Try to bring up these questions up naturally in conversations and over time as your relationship progresses. Choose good questions for your boyfriend to bring you closer as a couple, or get talking with thoughtful questions for your girlfriend. Is your commitment even stronger? You may want to start considering the right questions to ask before marriage, too.
- Have you ever been in love?
- Have you ever had your heart broken?
- What does a successful relationship look like to you?
- What happened in your last relationship?
- Are you friends with your former boyfriends or girlfriends?
- What has been the best decision you've ever made?
- What was your first impression of me?
- What is your biggest fantasy?
- What is your biggest fear?
- Is there anything about yourself you would change?
- What is something you like to do that other people would probably consider "weird" if they knew?
- What is one thing you've done (or not done) that you regret?
- If I were to give you a free pass to go on a date with a celebrity, who would it be and why?
- What was your parents' relationship like?
- How was your relationship with your siblings?
- What's one job you would never do?
- How would you describe your sense of humor?
- What is one thing you wish you were better at?
- If you could learn something new what would it be?
- What is something you avoid at all costs?
Question Games to Get to Know Your Partner
Asking questions is one of the best games to play to get to know someone. Here are some get to know you questions for couples for any stage of a relationship. Try one of these games to help you learn more and connect with your person in a fun way. The more questions you ask, the deeper your relationship can get!
- Dating game questions: Add some excitement to your relationship and delve into questions ranging from silly to serious with these original questions based on the 1960s Dating Game show. How well do you know your person?
- Fun questions to ask your partner: From quirks to conversation starters, these fun questions will hit the mark when it comes to talking with your partner. Keep it fun while building your bond and romantic relationship.
- Would you rather questions for couples: If you're looking for a unique, fun way to learn more about your partner, play a round of Would You Rather... The lists for this question game have plenty to ask your partner, from random to more serious questions.
Questions Help You Get Closer to Your Person
It's important to ask a combination of silly and serious questions you can discuss as you're getting to know each other. Just make sure you get to know the obvious things, as well as the stuff underneath the surface. Together, you'll be prepared to give your best to the relationship.