One problem with traditional dating sites, such as eHarmony and Match.com, is that they don't contain a category for transgender personals. People who are part of the transgender community may become frustrated by sites that try to fit people into boxes of male or female because it can make it difficult for them to meet the type of life partner or friend they are seeking.
Transgender Dating Sites
The following are some sites you can visit for transgender personals:
- TG Personals - The biggest and most prominent site is TG Personals. TG Personals allows people to look for potential partners who are transgender males, transgender females, cross dressers, androgynous or inter sexed. They can also find people who are simply seeking a transgender partner even though they are not transgender themselves. The site is free to join, browse, and respond to ads.
- TransgenderDate - This free transgender personals site is community based with blogs, forums and chat rooms. It has separate sections for pre-op, post-op, and non-op transgender people.
- LVTG.com - This site is specifically targeted to transgender singles in the Las Vegas area. The ads tend to feature people that are transgender male to female. People can browse featured ads before signing up. One drawback of this site is there is only one transgender category that encompasses all classes to make for less specific searches.
Responding to Personals
The process of replying to a transgender personal ad is pretty much the same no matter what site a person uses. All you have to do is click on someone's profile and send a brief note or a link to your profile. Don't include a lot of detail, such as an address or phone number in the initial contact for safety reasons.
Safety Concerns with Personal Sites
Unfortunately, many personal sites are the target of people with ulterior motives. These motives usually come in the form of wanting to dupe people out of their money. People using these personals should watch out for anyone who:
- Says they need help transferring funds overseas
- Asks for personal information, such as a Social Security of credit card number
- Is not okay with meeting in a public place for a first date
- Requests money to help with travel costs to get to an initial meeting
- Gives you a suspicious phone number
Alternatives To Personal Ads
Other places to meet transgender people online besides the personals sites include Meetup.com, ExperienceProject.com, MySpace and Facebook. People looking for friendships and pen pal relationships may want to check out these options first. There is less pressure to find someone to hook up with since these sites do not focus on dating but rather on community.