Are you wondering about which things to say to the one you love? Well, they don't always have to be romantic or sugary sweet for them to be well received. While a little romance can go a long way, at times, it is often more important to your loved one that you respect him or her and want to learn more about what he or she is thinking.
Thoughtful Things to Say
Here are several things to say to the one you love that may seem benign but can make a very positive impression:
- "Tell me all about your day."
- "What do you think about [insert topic here]?"
- "What would you like to do for dinner tonight?"
- "How are you feeling?"
- "How did that important [meeting, interview, presentation, etc.] go?"
- "What would you do this weekend if you could do anything you wanted?"
- "What is new with your family/friends?"
Other everyday comments that can make your lover smile are compliments, such as the following:
- "You look beautiful today, just like every day."
- "You always know the right thing to say to make me smile."
- "I had a bad day, but as soon as I saw you, I cheered right up."
- "I miss you when you're not here. You make my day complete."
- "You are the smartest person. [Substitute smartest with any positive adjective you like.]"
- "You always make me laugh, in a good way."
Sometimes you need things to say to the one you love when he or she needs some serious cheering up. One thing to do is bring up an inside joke between the two of you that always puts a smile on your lover's face. If that doesn't work, try saying one of these:
- "Why so sad?" while giving him or her the goofiest look possible.
- "Whatever it is, we can handle it better together."
- "You will be a stronger person by making it through this."
Romantic Things to Say to the One You Love
While not everything has to be romantic, there is, of course, a time and a place. Some sweet things you can say are:
- "Every day I'm with you, my love for you gets stronger. I can't wait until tomorrow."
- "My life is so much richer because I have you in it."
- "I can't stop gazing into your captivating eyes."
- "I cannot imagine my life without you being a part of it."
- Of course, you can always just say, "I love you."
Resources for More Romantic Things to Say
A lot of people like to hear romantic movie quotes. Of course it helps if your lover is a movie buff and will have heard of them, although perhaps it's fine if he or she thinks you thought of them yourself.
- Love Tripper has quotes from 19 different films released in the 1990s and 2000s. For example, one from the film Shakespeare in Love says, "If I could measure the beauty of her eyes, I was born to look into them and know myself."
- Buzz Sugar has quotes from a good mix of films in a quiz format. Therefore, you can learn the quotes and test your knowledge of the films they are from at the same time.
You can also turn to books to find romantic things to say, as people have done for centuries. The complete works of Shakespeare is an obvious choice, but there are lots of other romantic poets, including John Keats, William Wordsworth, John Clare, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Robert Bly, Dylan Thomas, Edna St. Vincent Millay and Emily Dickenson. Pick up any love poem anthology, such as The 100 Best Love Poems of All Time and you will see many of these writers represented.