Coming up with sweet pick up lines, as opposed to cheesy or offensive ones is a challenge for any single person. While men tend to need them more than women, there are occasions when either sex may want to find that perfect "ice-breaker" to start a conversation.
What Goes Into Sweet Pick Up Lines?
The purpose of any pick up line is to attract attention and give someone the idea that you are interesting and worth spending more time with. This is why it's difficult to come up with a really good one - it has to convey the qualities beyond appearance that will attract the recipient. Here are a few of those qualities and the kinds of sweet pick up lines that might work with each.
- "You look interesting. I'm interesting, too. Let's talk about interesting things."
- "My friend told me this party would be worth my time - and now that I see you, he was right."
- "I'm having a Glenlivet, neat. What can I get for you?" If they already have a drink, ask what they're drinking and pledge to buy the next one.
The key to all of these is that they do not seem desperate - instead, there's a sense of identity and an idea that you want to get to know the person not because you have nothing better to do, but because both of you would enjoy the experience.
Sense of Humor
Odds are, if you can get someone laughing, you've used one of the many sweet pick up lines. However, humor is a tricky thing - going for bawdy or puerile humor may work, but could easily backfire. Going for a clever line is probably better than trying to be funny.
- "If I had a nickel for everyone I saw as attractive as you, I'd have…five cents."
- "The next time you get a dozen roses, look in the mirror. You'll see the 13 most beautiful things in the world."
- "I would love to buy you a drink but I'm afraid I'd be too jealous of the glass."
All of these are obliquely complimentary, and the person has to think about them for a moment before their meaning becomes clear. This buys you time, and the longer it takes him/her to say "no", the harder it is for him/her to do so.
Sense of Romance
You really can't go wrong with a touch of poetry or classically romantic lines. Even if the person says no - and they might - if delivered with a sense of earnest passion, the odds are you'll still look good even if rejected.
- "Excuse me...May a thorn sit down amongst the roses? "
- "It takes the sweetest pick up lines to make you mine, but all I could find was your beauty so fine, and the words, please be mine?"
- "I wish that I was a tear: Born in your eyes to live on your cheeks, and to die, happy, at your lips."
- "I look in your eyes and see a portal…a gateway to a world of which I want to be a part."
Sometimes being clever isn't enough on its own. You can also work little games or challenges into your opening salvo, with an easygoing smile if the person refuses to play. Remember, sometimes the way you take rejection can be more impressive than any line at all.
- "Do you have the time? Thanks…March 21, 2009 , at 10:30 PM, now I'll always remember the exact moment that I met you."
- "You seem popular, but I bet you have room in your life for another friend."
- "Careful with that frown - you'll break the hearts of everyone whose fallen in love with your smile."
- "May I see your hand for a moment?" Speculate wildly about their fortune - getting more and more ridiculous - and when they finally ask what you're doing, say, "Oh, actually, I just wanted to hold your hand."
In the end, though, the sweetest pick up lines are the ones that are simply straightforward, honest, and hold no expectation or design other than to make the recipient feel good:
Hello. I don't want you to think I'm stalking or weird or anything, but I think you are the most beautiful person I have ever seen. I'm really glad you're here, and all I wanted to do was thank you for showing up and making my evening.