As much as women are supposed to be hard for guys to understand, it is also hard as a woman to see the signs a shy guy likes you. However, they are usually there - if you know what to look for.
Six Signs a Shy Guy Likes You
While the following signs a shy guy likes you are all accurate in some circumstances, they are also generalities - don't assume that if you don't see them the guy doesn't like you. In addition, they aren't necessarily unique to men - women do many of these things as well.
- The Stammer - A shy guy isn't going to come right out and let you know that he likes you - that kind of fails by definition. But if, when you are around, he suddenly seems to have trouble speaking, whether to you or someone else, it could be a sign that your presence causes him stress.
- Stressing Out - Aside from a stammer, there are other more directly physical signs that a guy likes you. Does his face get red? Does he get goose pimples? Does he suddenly get thirsty? Any of these could be an indication of an increased heart rate or sexual attraction.
- Acting Out - One of the less attractive signs is if the shy guy suddenly goes through a personality change when he's around you. He may become more belligerent, or seem to be showing off whether with extravagant gestures ("Buy the bar a round!") or other "macho" methods. This kind of mating instinct is the same thing that makes peacocks spread their feathers, and should be considered as a possible sign that the guy is too shy to let you know he likes you by more direct means.
- Anybody But You - If you see a guy who seems to be fine talking to many other women, especially if those women are very similar to you, but he doesn't seem willing to show you the same attention - well, it might be that he doesn't like you. But it's also possible that he is doing it because he does like you, and he's only able to talk to the others because he doesn't really fear their reaction.
- Indirect Messages - Remember eighth grade, the little notes that read, "Do you like Jim? Circle YES or NO." That kind of shyness never goes away for some people - so they may show that they like you through indirect methods, like notes, flowers, sweets, or other forms of appreciation. The best kind of indirect sign, though, is when you suddenly find something that you want - tickets to a concert you mentioned in passing, or a scarf you saw in a window and only lingered on a moment - given to you. That shows that not only does he like you, he is also paying attention to what you like.
- Hovering - Do you notice that the shy guy who won't talk to you directly seems to be around a lot, in social situations and other places? The cute side of this is that he simply is trying to be near you, while still being unsure of how to show how he likes you. Of course, the other side of this is stalking, and that may be something to address.
What Do You Do with a Shy Guy?
Whatever the signs, you may be tempted to take the direct approach and simply confront the guy with the question: "Do you like me?" While this may work, it can also be cruel. A better way to find out is to express your own like for him (if it exists). Go out of your way to be with him, or even ask him out on a date.
If, however, the shy guy's attentions are unwelcome, you would be doing the both of you a kindness to completely ignore him. Any contact at all with a crushing guy will encourage him - it is better to let his crush play out, and he'll eventually move on to more receptive people.