There is a saying that "absence makes the heart grow fonder," and long distance love poems can help you express your feelings when separated from your lover.
Distance Can Keep Love Growing
Poetry often says so much more than we can express aloud. In a long distance relationship, this is especially important because when you can't physically spend time together so you have to find emotional ways to keep the relationship going. Long distance love poems have just the right recipe.
Poetry Brings You Together
Maintaining a long distance relationship isn't easy, but love poems can help you express your feelings and stay close. While many of these types of poems are sad and complicated, don't forget about finding poetry to express those feelings of hope and joy that you will be together again. The following are examples of individual poems about separation:
Poetry that Evokes Hope
Just because you're far apart doesn't mean everything has to be painful. Remember the times you spent in-person and keep those memories going until you can be together again. Share classic and hopeful love poems such as these:
- In My Sky at Twilight by Pablo Neruda
- Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare
- Meeting at Night by Robert Browning
- To His Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell
- Our Moment by Gary R. Hess
Find More Long Distance Love Poems
Poetry about separation from your lover is very common:
- VoicesNet has long distance poetry from writers around the world.
- Loving You has a list of separation poems.
What to do with Poems
If you are in a long distance relationship, exchanging poetry might be just what you need to keep the romance alive. Whether it's your own poetry or another writer's poetry that resonates your feelings, sharing the emotional journey will help you both grow stronger.
Think of poetry as a gift that can keep a long distance love story sizzling. Creative ways to share poems include:
- Send one poem a day by email
- Send written poems in the mail as a surprise
- Write out poems into a blank book and mail the book back and forth to each other
- Send books of romantic love poems or letters to each other
- Good choices for gifts include 100 Love Sonnets by Pablo Neruda and 100 Best Loves of All Time edited by Leslie Pockell
Sharing Poetry Together
Poetry can also be an interactive tool that loving couples can share over the phone and discuss.
- Read poems aloud to each other over the phone.
- Use poems to help you get through the tough times.
- Remember to find poems that also celebrate your love.
Help Your Love Grow Stronger
Long distance love doesn't have to kill the romance. In fact, when you're physically apart this can be a time to build an even stronger foundation. Sharing thoughtful poems with your lover is the perfect way to show you care and pass the days before you meet again.
Some of the greatest love stories happened between people who were apart. No matter the reason for the separation, you can use long distance love poems to strengthen your bond.