How do you know if your girlfriend really likes you? Do you come right out and ask her, or do you look for signs that say love is in the air? How good are you at reading her mind? Well, there isn't one true formula that will help you find the absolute answer, but we can offer you some sound relationship advice.
How Do You Know If Your Girlfriend Really Likes You?
You probably remember those heartfelt notes that asked the question "do you like me…yes, no, maybe?" Even if you never got up the nerve to pop that question to your crush in elementary school and junior high, you probably know others who did, right? Now that you are older, you still may wonder about whether she really likes you or not, but obviously you want to handle the issue with a little more finesse. Sure, you can come right out and ask her, but how do you know she'll tell you the truth? She may be worried about hurting your feelings, or she may just not be that good at talking about her feelings. She's not alone. In fact, she may be wondering the same thing about you! You've found what may be your first real love, and you need to know if she feels the same.
Look for Signs
You've got to become more familiar with reading her body language. What I mean is really notice how she responds to you when you are in her personal space.
- Does she back away, or move a little closer?
- Does she keep her arms crossed in front of her when you are having a conversation, or are her arms relaxed at her sides as if she is open to a closer relationship?
- Does she scoot closer to you when you are sitting side by side?
- Does she look for opportunities to touch you, either accidentally or on purpose? It may just be a slight caress on your arm, or her leg may casually bump against yours, but you get the idea.
- When you are parting at the end of the night, does she linger over the goodnight kiss, or does she appear in a hurry to leap out of the car and head for the door?
Keeping in Touch
Some good signs that your girlfriend is interested:
- She calls you in the morning just because she wants to hear your voice before she starts her day.
- When she is out with her friends, she still wants to call you just to see how you are doing.
- She can't go to sleep without talking to you one last time.
- You randomly receive a text message during the day just to see how you are doing.
- She laughs at even your stupid jokes.
- You have met most of her friends.
Moving Things Along
How do you know if your girlfriend really likes you? Listen to your gut feeling about the two of you, and then test the waters a little. Once you've determined your relationship really is in the "like" stage, then you may just want to move it towards the "love" stage.
- Take it slow
- Remember, to keep reading her body language
- Don't pressure
- Avoid ultimatums
- Be prepared to compromise
- Don't be possessive
Finally, if you feel like she really doesn't seem to like you as well as you'd hoped, it may be time to come clean about your doubts. Tell her that you really need to talk about what is going on between the two of you. If she says she just wants to be friends, it isn't the end of the world, although it may be the end of what you thought could be a romantic relationship. Don't lose her as a friend, however. Sometimes, lasting relationships start as just good friendships. Even if the relationship you'd hoped for never materializes, you've gained some experience in the love game, and you may have gained a friend for life as well!