When love is lost, sometimes the most comforting thing to do is read breakup quotes. To have expressed so well the feelings you are having can help you to come to grips with your own emotions. Other times, it's just really nice to know that you aren't the only person who has felt heartbreak after a relationship ends. This can also be encouraging as well, as you read the thoughts of people who have broken up, survived it, and have moved on.
There are many breakup quotes out there, so to ease finding what you are looking for, the quotes presented here are grouped by category. Whenever possible, credit is given to the person who wrote or said the quote.
How Much it Hurts
Let's start with some quotes that express how much it hurts to breakup.
- When you break up, your whole identity is shattered. It's like death. - Dennis Quaid
- You don't die from a broken heart - you only wish you did.
- Nothing hurts more than realizing he meant everything to you, but you meant nothing to him.
- The pain of having a broken heart is not so much as to kill you, yet not so little as to let you live.
- You've never felt pain until you've felt love.
Understanding the nature of love and breakups won't take the pain away, especially if you were rudely dumped, but they can help you to realize that your feelings have been shared by others. Here are some good breakup quotes that offer a wider perspective.
- Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart do not know how to laugh either.
- It takes a couple seconds to say Hello, but forever to say Goodbye.
- Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop.
- There's this place in me where your finger prints still rest... your kisses still linger and your whispers softly echo... It's the place where a part of you will forever be a part of me.
- The hottest love has the coldest end. - Socrates
- Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never knew.
- Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable. - Wizard of Oz
- Breaking up is a natural evolution when you try to figure out what you want in life. If you're with an individual who isn't moving in the same direction and at the same rate that you are, it ain't going to work. - Usher
- Never be sad for what is over, just be glad that it was once yours.
- You don't realize how much you care about someone until they don't care about you.
- The funny thing about breakups is they point out what we didn't even know we had, but don't give us the option of going back into battle armed with that knowledge.
- Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. - Kahlil Gibran
Once the initial pain begins to subside, the best thing to do is begin to look toward the future and to move on. Here are some breakup quotes to help you do just that.
- I'm going to smile and make you think I'm happy, I'm going to laugh, so you don't see me cry, I'm going to let you go in style, and even if it kills me… I'm going to smile.
- I refuse to let what happened to me make me bitter. I still completely believe in love and I'm open to anything that will happen to me. - Nicole Kidman
- If someone you love hurts you - cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.
- I'm not sure what the future holds but I do know that I'm going to be positive and not wake up feeling desperate. As my dad said "Nic, it is what it is, it's not what it should have been, not what it could have been, it is what it is". - Nicole Kidman
- No matter who broke your heart, or how long it takes to heal, you'll never get through it without your friends.
- Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it's better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.
- You can't ever let go of all the feelings, but you need to let go of him.
You Will Find Love
You may feel like you'll never find love after a breakup, or that the love will never be as good as what you had. That is just not true. Real love is meant to last, to endure, to forgive and to forget. When you find that, you will have finally found true love. Finally, whether you believe in the Bible or not, everyone can enjoy the hopefulness of these words from Psalms 126:5:
- They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.